Friday, July 16, 2010

The Crow Man

“I am the Crow Man,” the tall man said with a top hat on his head and a cane in his hand. He wore a suit like Mr. Darcy might wear from Pride and Prejudice. Only Mr. Darcy's face wasn't severely mis-shapen. He continued, “Every day I walk in the corn fields and scare the crows. I work better than any other scare crow in the whole county. I didn't used to like the way I look; my face frightened even me. But I was born this way for a reason, and now I know what that reason is. Most people don't think being a human scare crow is a very noble possession, but I like it. I love walking through the yellow fields, feeling the grass tickle me as I walk past. I love the smell of earth and the wind on my face. And no one stares at me in horror. Even the crows, when frightened, look upon me with a kinder look than most people.”

The little girl who he was talking to looked up with interest, her eyes wide with admiration. She said, “Why do you dress funny?”

The Crow Man laughed, “I like history. I wear authentic nineteenth century clothes because it makes me feel like a real gentleman. When I wear these clothes I feel like the top of society, instead of the bottom. When I walk through the fields in my clothes, I imagine all the leaves of wheat grass blowing in the wind are people bowing to me.”

“That's like when I wear my special dress. I become like Cinderella at the ball and I get to marry a handsome prince and live happily ever after.”

The Crow Man put his hand on the girl's shoulder, “Exactly. I can live happily ever after in the fields with my clothes.”

A voice called from down the street, “Anna Leigh, time for dinner.”

The girl hopped down from where she had been sitting on a wooden fence, “I'm sorry Mr. Crow Man, I have to go to dinner now. I'll see you tomorrow.” Before running off, Anna Leigh hugged the crow man tightly across the stomach.

The Crow Man smiled as she went home. A little tear trickled out of the corner of his mutated eye. It was the first time he'd ever been hugged. It was the first time he'd ever felt loved.

As Anna Leigh got home, she turned one last time to see the Crow Man. He was walking off through the field just as the moon was rising, crows cawing into the sky around him. Anna Leigh felt peace and friendship as she watched him. She couldn't wait to talk to him again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Niiiiiice. Obviously, some of your best stuff comes from looking at art!

    ReplyDelete